Thursday, July 23, 2009

Vermont

In continuing my journey as a knitter, I find myself running into knitters all over this trip to Vermont. The woman who sat next to me on the train happened to be a knitter, confessing herself after she saw the book I was reading. An older woman with a endearing English accent at the train station this morning I recognized as a fiber conspirator by the bright orange yarn in her bag. I got to talking with her for awhile about what she was working on, it turned out that she was partially blind, and while she can't read on the train, she can knit by feeling the stitches. I've heard that some knitters when they get good enough have this ability, and I certainly hope that I get there some day. Though, I suppose that will come after I figure out how to increase and decrease.

The more I read about the Yarn Harlot's stash issues, the more I have the desire to go out and buy all the yarn in the world. Not only so that I can have a massive selection of yarn at home, but so that I may also have the stories of how I acquired it all. Between wandering in rural parts of Canada and having to defend freshly spun yarn from an overly aggressive, egotistical gray squirrel, there are a lot of history not only behind the yarn, but in Mrs Harlot's history as a knitter. I'm looking forward to creating that history for myself.

My intense desire to go yarn shopping took GP and I to a JoAnn's in West Lebanon. I'd noticed it while we drove around last night looking for a place to eat. However, having some foresight for a change I refused to buy anything. Though I had been informed by the friendly Englishwoman that morning that there were no yarn stores here in White River Junction, I was positive that I had found one online. With my assurance in hand, I re-searched the store when we got to his place and low and behold: it was just down the road! Eureka!

We hopped back in the car and headed down to a store right on Main Street named White River Yarns. I was warmly welcomed by the store owner the moment we walked in, and asked a couple questions about what I was shopping for. And before I knew it: I was sitting down and being taught how to knit a sock. She had some on her work station just for such an occasion and I had myself a great time (with GP being incredibly patient with the whole endeavor). I bought two skeins of yarn and a new set of AddiClick circular needles and left the store feeling incredibly encouraged and with tons of advice.

Guess I just have to put myself out there enough. Though I really wish I had more money to go and buy more yarn before I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment