Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Book Hunt

My original plan of trying to hit up all the yarn stores in NYC before I start my new job have fallen through. I leave for Vermont in a little less than 2 days and have made plans with friends for any time that wont be spent cleaning my room and packing for the trip. But I'm not leaving NYC anytime soon, so I think I'll be able to make it around eventually (or so I assure myself).


However, yesterday did prove to be a good knitting book day. I received a gift card for Barnes and Noble from a co-worker at a weekend job I just finished and thought to myself: "Now I can get some of those knitting books that I claim I can't afford". In reality, I hem-and-haw over a purchase of any sort (though anyone who knows me as a reader would disagree with that statement). And so, when I pick up a book of project, patterns or other knitting related topics, I easily rationalize why it is not possibly an option for me to buy this book presently. And I've thus far refrained from buying them on my kindle, as there tends to be a habit of moving text or images around onto other pages. Something I am deathly afraid will destroy some future project. And there is something to be said about my growing shelf of fiber arts related books: I love it.


I managed to pick up Son of a Stitch and Bitch (which I have been considering for months) and Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter. The latter was almost left behind, however, as the copy at the Barnes and Noble I first went to was atrocious.


Now, please consider that I am known for being very careful with my books. I hold them open only as much as it takes to be able to read the words from the gutter. Friends and family have been afraid to borrow books from me specifically for this reason. I once had a friend warn me in advance before he returned a book that he had accidentally bent the back cover and wanted to tell me before I noticed it myself. So when I am shopping for a new book, am not very kind to crack in the spine, bent covers, shelf dust or worn out edges. If there will be any markings on my books, they will come from me, my bag or my pen.


I ended up having to call two other Barnes and Noble before I was able to track down a copy of the elusive Harlot where it was the placed on hold for me. (Sidebar: B&N's customer service was a lot more than I had expected it to be. People were apologetic that they couldn't find the book, offered product and store numbers for me to check in other places. I was positive the universe wanted me to have this book in a better condition.) Thankfully, my inspection upon pick-up proved to be acceptable and so the book was purchased--much to my delight as I began to read it on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment